So, you’re writing your speech pathology statement of purpose and looking for examples?
When I wrote my essay, I remember thinking to myself… “I wish I could just read somebody else’s. Not to copy, but just to get a CLUE of where to start!”. So… here is the next best thing! Below is a list of topics I talked about in my essay, in order!
This is obviously very personalized to me, and my life, but will hopefully help in deciding how and where to start!
1) Intro: I began with a personal story about my brother, what originally sparked my interest in speech-language pathology.
2) Paragraph 2: My work experience during my undergrad, and how my focus in Autism led me to want to continue my education at XYZ University
3) Paragraph 3: My background working in multidisciplinary teams, how they are important, and how I contributed to student organizations other than ones related to speech
4) Paragraph 4: The characteristics that will help me succeed in grad school. I talked about working nearly full-time during my undergrad, volunteering, etc…
5) Conclusion: Why I want to continue my education and why I picked that school. I gave information about that particular school and related it to my personal experiences outlined earlier.
Throughout my whole essay, I intertwined Autism and its importance throughout my life. I picked schools that had a focus in Autism so that I could make a fair case for why I wanted to go to each school.
A friend of mine wrote her statement of purpose like this:
I hope these speech pathology statement of purpose examples help! The most important thing is to proofread, proofread, proofread!
If you’re in need of a little more graduate school advice, check out my other blog posts: