Graduate School, Graduate School Applications

Applying to SLP Graduate School: Where Do I Start?

1. Katy says:

Loved this post – we are at the same points in grad school, and I agree, applying was the most stressful thing I’ve ever experienced. I had spreadsheets too!! Not only did I make them to organize the ASHA stats, but I also made one to organize due dates, number of letters of rec, app fee, etc AND to check off and date (because I trust no one) when each item was mailed/submitted. I hung these on my wall by my bedroom door so I’d see them all the time and stay on top of everything.

Another tip I’d give to anyone doing this is GO VISIT any and all schools you possibly can. Email people in the program and find out if they allow interviews (most don’t) or if there is an open house or meet and greet. The only school I didn’t get into (as in flat out rejected) was also the only school I was unable to visit. These visits give you a chance to shine in person and give them a face to put with your application. It can really make a huge difference!

2. Josie says:

THANK YOU SO SO MUCH!! I am only a junior in my undergrad and already starting to freak out over graduate school. Your post has definitely shined some light and is being added to my bookmarks!

3. Jennifer says:

This post is great, and thank you for it. You don’t address applying as a career changer though. I’m 32 and wanting to switch from an ESL teaching career and broaden my horizons. Applied to my in-state schools three times and got rejected from programs who say they are only looking to take 25 students a year. So frustrating!

4. Kate says:

Hi! I just found your site through Pinterest and this post was AWESOME! I’m currently in the process of applying to grad school for SLP and this help solidify what I knew I needed to do. Organization is key which thank goodness is a great trait of ours! I look forward to referring back to your site often 🙂

5. PDS says:

Thank you for this encouraging post!!! It is very helpful – Thank you for keeping it up for others to read.

Blessings,

PDS

6. Kate says:

You are the bomb, Shannon. I found this post super informative and motivating. Thanks!

7. Lana says:

AMAZING article!! I’m applying for Fall 2017 and your post really hit home as to the seriousness of this situation. I need to get my butt organized and bang these applications out! Thank you!!

8. qkdalswl7496 says:

I just wanted to say, you’re awesome and thank you so much for this post!! I was feeling a little overwhelmed about the whole thing but after reading your post, I have a MUCH better idea about how I should organize this crazy process and how to stay on top of things.

9. Li says:

I am currently a Cognitive Sciences major (my school doesn’t offer the CSD major unfortunately), and I was wondering what happens after I graduate? My major is heavily related to CSD, but it doesn’t delve deep into the different communication disorders and clinical treatment possibilities. With that said, can I apply to SLP programs right after graduation or do I have to complete some post-bacc requirements before doing so? Thanks!

• Shannon says:

Thanks for your question! I’m not 100% certain, but it’s likely you will have to apply to a program with a leveling program built in. Your degree will likely take 3 years instead of 2. Several schools do offer this though so look around!

10. Pushpa Pandey says:

Can you share what school you applied to and which ones you got into? Are you done with grad school?

• Shannon says:

Yes I am done with graduate school and have been an SLP for 2.5 years now! I eventually went to Radford University! Feel free to email me if you have any other questions! 🙂

11. Caitlin says:

Hi Shannon, I am just starting the process of pursuing an SLP master’s as a non-CSD undergraduate major. Do you know how I can find out if students are more likely to be accepted into a master’s program with a 2nd degree in CSD or by completing a postbac? I can find no information on whether one is better than the other, or not! Also I do nogg know if an online program would be less competitive than an in-person degree. Please help 🙂

• Shannon says:

Hi Caitlin! I’m not sure if one is more competitive than the other, but I know there are many programs that accept students with non-CSD backgrounds. From what I’ve heard, many online programs are more competitive than in person programs because there are fewer of them and they can appeal to people from all over. Hope that helps a bit! Good luck!

• Terri says:

Hi Caitlin,
      My daughter is a non-CSD undergraduate student and she would like to pursue an SLP master’s program. Did you apply right out of undergrad or did you take you take a year to complete all the pre-requisites? I understand there are schools that offer two tracks but she’s not sure how competitive they are. Are you in grad school now? If so, where did you end up going?

Thanks for your help and guidance! Terri