Musings

My SLP New Year’s Resolution: Be Good, Not Great

1. Jena says:

I completely agree! We are a field that attracts perfectionists and when we strive to keep up, we get burned out and lose confidence.

To illustrate this, one of my most popular blog posts is one on avoiding burnout (http://www.independentclinician.com/blog/6-ways-to-beat-speech-pathology-burnout-for-good) which is so sad to me!

When I saw the headline of your article, I smiled. Thank you for sending this message!

2. I love this and wholeheartedly agree! It’s so hard to come to terms with the fact that good is good enough. I’m working on it too!

3. Kelly Webster says:

Love this! Refreshing and honest – and FUN!

4. Sandra says:

I love this! I’m in my CF year and already feel burned out from taking work home every day and working on it until I fall asleep on the couch! Thank you so much for posting this and helping us realize that it’s OKAY not to get everything done when we want it…the important things will get done.

5. Heidi says:

LOVE this post! Balance is the key to a long and happier life as a SLP!! Good luck in your “good” quest this year πŸ™‚

6. Jen K says:

Thanks for this post Shannon! It’s true that we can’t be great at everything. I found that when I don’t balance my work with my life, I miss out on my family and my kids. They grow up too fast to miss out. Thanks for the post for letting me know I’m not alone in being “good” at what I do.

7. Susan W says:

I completely agree! This year, I’m doing things differently. I’ve started taking more time during the week for date night with my husband, leaving my laptop at school and even started a new business venture selling makeup because it’s fun to help people while doing something fun for me! I love the idea of having balance and know have even more reassurance that I made the right choice. Thank you!!

8. I’m working towards more balance in my life this year, and it has definitely made me realize I can’t be “great” in everything! A good reminder that “good” is perfectly all right. πŸ™‚