You can’t lose with a fun dinosaur theme unit in your speech therapy! How is it that kids can learn those long, technical names of dinosaurs, even those kids with speech and language impairments?
That’s the power of special interests – and we can use it for our benefit!
There are so many advantages to using themed units in speech therapy, including making mixed groups so much easier. With a theme, your mixed group therapy feels cohesive and everyone can work on their goals at the same time.
My Dinosaurs Themed Language Therapy Unit for Speech Therapy includes everything, all the stimulus materials and quality graphic organizers you need for just about your whole caseload!
Simple Ways to Have Fun with Dinosaurs!
Dinosaur Themed Activities
A dinosaur sensory bin is an easy way to get some hands-on, open-ended fun into your dinosaur unit. Some kinetic sand will go well with a tub of inexpensive plastic dinosaurs. If you have a paintbrush, you can pretend to be archaeologists!
Dinosaur Theme Books
If you’re a wordless picture book fan like I am, you’ll love Chalk by Bill Thomson. The facial expressions are so perfect for targeting inferencing and emotions, but the simple story will be beloved by children of all ages.
There are lots of other simple ways to include the dinosaur theme into your therapy:
- Hide dinosaurs around the room with speech and language targets for a fun scavenger hunt
- Target simple directions and body parts and make toy dinosaurs go on your head, under your foot, and next to your hand
- Ask simple wh- questions about dinosaurs: What do dinosaurs eat? When were dinosaurs alive? Where do pterodactyls go?
- Make the dinosaurs do different actions and practicing -ing verbs
- And most importantly: Listen to what your child says and recast and expand!
Dinosaur Theme Language Speech Therapy Unit
If you’re looking for something more comprehensive, with just about everything you’d want to target in your language therapy, my themed language speech therapy unit is for you!
My dinosaurt hemed language unit includes all the materials you need to target:
- Core vocabulary (big, different)
- Basic concepts (long, before)
- Describing (dinosaurs, dinosaur eggs, paleontologist, fossil)
- Tier 2 vocabulary (different, enormous, giant, extinct)
- Prefix/suffix (tri-, -s)
- Sentence combining
- Comprehending narrative texts
- Comprehending non-fiction texts
- WH questions
- Comparing and contrasting
We’re talking over 100 pages of dinosaur themed goodness, with gorgeous photos, helpful icons, and systematic instructional materials.
Other SLPs absolutely LOVE my dinosaur language therapy unit. Here is some feedback I’ve received:
“My students LOVED this theme! It seems like students at nearly every age love dinosaurs and my students were so engaged during the lessons. I love that I can use this one theme across my entire caseload and breathe a sigh of relief when it comes to planning! It’s like I’ve been gifted with curriculum that applies to nearly all of my students. Magical! Thank you!!”
— Brittney L.
“This resource has something for every language goal imaginable! It’s so thorough and my kids loved using the materials alongside books about dinosaurs. I used the describing pages and WH questions pages a lot in particular!”
— Taylor T.
“I really love these theme units, especially because you can use them any time of the year. The kids are interested in the topics, and they end up learning some cool facts along with practicing their language skills.”
— Kristine G.
Have fun in your therapy sessions and get the work done!