For SLPs, Musings

Volunteering Abroad as an SLP

1. Aubrey says:

I completed my CFY in Uganda through an organization called Hope Speaks. They accept long term and short term volunteers! Such an amazing organization.

2. Sonia says:

Thanks for writing such a balanced and informative article, Shannon. It was a pleasure to meet and work with you and the Smiles for Speech team. Our students were so inspired and we cannot express enough our appreciation for your all help and support.

3. Gifty Ayoka says:

It was really nice and inspiring meeting you and the entire team. I am really blessed to have a copy of your book AAC Training Guide which has made AAC implementation very easy to follow.This will help improve my clinical practice as a newly qualified SLP. Thank you Shannon.
    Gifty Ayoka

4. Amity says:

Thank you for sharing your experiences!

5. Kara says:

This is awesome! Thank you for sharing! I went to Malawi, Africa for 3 weeks this summer – there is only 1 SLP in the entire country.

6. Stephanie says:

Hi from Australia! I have been on two very rewarding volunteering trips before. My first one was with an organisation called Equal Health to India. It was great to be on the allied health team amongst a team of other medical, dental and optical professionals, delivering direct services. I wanted to try something different for my second volunteering trip and wanted to focus more on capacity building and went to Vietnam with Trinh Foundation Australia as a clinical educator. It was much more rewarding to upskill the speech pathology students there. Their speech therapy course is only a few years’ old too.