Organization

Student Folders: Tips and Ideas for SLPs

1. Taylor Lewis says:

I really love the idea of speech folders. I am beginning my CF this fall and am planning to utilize speech folders. Do you perhaps have more images of examples of your speech folders witht he prongs? Thank you!

• Shannon says:

Hey Taylor! Great question! I added a picture of a folder without the prongs. I usually put worksheets to-do on the left side pocket and data sheets/student info on the right side. Hope that helps!

2. Susan Sears says:

I have students retrieve their work folders from their mailboxes (magazine holders.) These magazine holders may or may not be manufactured any longer, they are 2 feet high and 3 feet wide and have approx. 24 slots for student work folders. I have a wide variety of student ages and abilities (K-10) and they are all able to “find their work and bring it to the work table,” as stage 3 of the posted entry routine (yes, visuals!)

• Shannon says:

That’s another fantastic idea!! I’ve seen those holders and always wanted to try them for something. Thanks for sharing!

3. Wow….thanks SO much for putting this post together. I was looking for a new system instead of sending home folders that don’t ever get looked at and takes up valuable minutes. You’ve helped me figure out a new plan. THANKS!

4. Peggy says:

I use the working folders , too!! It works great for me! As I see lessons / materials appropriate for a student, I just put it in the folder. Your system is much more professional looking. I love the sticky notes system. I’m gonna add that to my routine. Thank you for sharing!!! What a helpful post!!!

• Shannon says:

I’m so glad the post was helpful! I do the same as far as putting in lessons/materials as I find them! Thanks for commenting!

5. Amy says:

Hi!
    Are there specific data sheets you recommend that have open areas that the Avery labels would fit nicely on? I absolutely love your idea of using sticky address labels when you take data for larger groups!

• Shannon says:

Not at this moment but I’ll definitely look into it and try to share out my ideas in another post! Great idea!

6. Janet says:

I love the post it notes idea and then to add it to the data collection sheet. Have you had time to develop a sheet on which to put the labels?

7. […] can learn how I use working folders in one of my blog posts here. I typically use them for sample student work, data, and sometimes student-specific visuals that I […]