Teach conversation skills in a structured way with this fun game that teaches asking questions, making comments, taking turns, and having a conversation about a variety of topics!
Your kids will love this simple card game that imitates natural conversation while providing a visual and something tangible to help visualize the flow of conversation! Great for social groups or anybody working on social language skills.
Here’s what’s inside:
- 2 pages of ‘direction cards’ (i.e.: ask a question, make a comment, make 2 comments, make a comment then ask a question)
- 63 conversation topic cards
- 9 blank conversation topic cards for customization
All covering the following targets:
- Initiating a conversation by asking a question
- Continuing a conversation by answering a question
- Continuing a conversation by elaborating on an answer
- Asking a reciprocal, or follow-up question
Here’s how I play:
- Make two piles of cards: one for direction cards, one for conversation topic cards.
- Have the dealer shuffle 6 direction cards to each player and flip over one conversation topic card.
- The dealer goes first. He or she should lay down one of their direction cards. See key below for examples: Comment: I love summer! Question: What season do you like? Two Comments: I love summer. I always go to the beach. Comment + Question: I love going to the beach. Have you ever gone to the beach?
- Play/conversation continues in a clockwise fashion. The next player should lay down a direction card and respond to the first player appropriately.
- If a player gets stuck or responds inappropriately, they have to draw another direction card from the pile and their turn is over.
- The first person to get rid of their hand wins, or just play for fun!
Here’s some reasons why other SLPs have loved this resource:
♥ ”Love this! A go-to resource for scaffolding conversation skills. Kids enjoy the “game” format while actually practicing very important skills.” – Laura M.
♥ ”This resource has been fantastic to use with my social skills clients. It is such an easy no-prep way to practice conversation starters. I have used it nearly every day since purchasing it.” – Rebecca D.
♥ ”This resource is great for so many goals. It is great to use for a variety of goals, from social communication, to stuttering, to articulation, you name it. Such a versatile resource!” – Mieke D.
To learn more about the research behind this product, other ways to use it, and some of my favorite goals that go right along with this game, make sure to check out my blog post all about improving communication and conversation skills!
Feel free to email the Speechy Musings team at email@example.com with any questions!
☟ Let’s stay in touch! Sign up for my email newsletter and follow me on social media to hear about freebies, new product releases, and helpful ideas for your therapy room! ☟