Musings

Summer books for SLPs – Time to relax and unwind!

1. Elizabeth says:

The Ghost in my Brain- concussive syndrome with a fascinating rehabilitation.

2. Congratulations on your wedding! My recommendations are Neanderthal Seeks Human, The Rosie Project and A Man Called Ove (all characters with ASD).

3. judyhale says:

During the summer, I like to read for FUN and enjoyment! Books by Jeffrey Deaver (mystery/suspense with a LOT of plot twists); Maeve Binchy (an Irish writer who is a fantasic storyteller–you KNOW the characters); and totally silly–the Stephanie Plum novels by Janet Evanovich. I’m also loving the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon (those are some HUGE books, so if you’re traveling, put them on Kindle).

4. Leticia says:

I enjoyed Out of my Mind, it’s about a girl who has cerebral palsy and her journey after receiving a speech generating device. 🙂

5. Jen K says:

I loved the books by JoJo Moyes…Me Before You as well as After You.

6. Thanks for the great ideas! A commenter above suggested The Rosie Project which I also love. Look Me In The Eye is an interesting memoir about a man who found out he has Asperger’s as an adult and reflects back on his childhood. For fun, I’m reading Mary Kubica’s books – suspenseful and easy-to-read. Titles include The Good Girl, Don’t you Cry and Pretty Baby.

7. Indeed, a great idea! Thanks for your recommendations for both speech/disability/therapy related books. Kudos!

8. Emily Schmitt says:

Life Animated by Ron Suskind is amazing! Ron tells his story of having a child with Autism and how important, using his interests was in connecting his son to others and learning. I’d also second Uniquely Human by Barry Prizant.

9. Kelly says:

The Girl on the train, The Silent Wife, What Alice Forgot are all excellent! I am currently reading Only Daughter…can’t put it down!