I asked other SLPs on Instagram how they make the best use of their summer! Combined with things I’ve tried and their responses, I gathered a list of 10 ideas for your summer bucket list!
- Travel! Go somewhere new, even if it’s camping somewhere nearby for a weekend.
- Prep larger therapy activities. If you’ve been around here for a while, you’ll know that I’m not big on laminating, but if you’ve used the material over and over or know you would in the future, now is a great time to binge a Netflix series while prepping something HUGE (like my Cycles for Phonology Toolkit or my AAC Implementation Toolkit).
- Volunteer. Use your talents to do something meaningful without all the paperwork, data pressures, and stress!
- Turn off your work email. Disconnect from the SLP world as much as you’d like.
- Read every day. If you have kids, involve them! Check out this post of mine… all about my summer reads for 2019!
- Clean an area of your house each week. This summer, I’m going room by room and decluttering and organizing.
- Try some new recipes. Summer is a great time to revamp how you eat and try out some new things! I love walking to the grocery store in the summer and buying as much as possible from farmer’s markets.
- Complete CEUs online! I looove binge watching online CEUs on SpeechPathology.com (not sponsored, just a fan and there’s lots of similar options!) in the summer. It’s weird but it’s kind of the best to curl up on the couch and not move all day (all in the name of learning… right?).
- Get outside (as much as possible). Walk your dogs. Go for a hike. Swim in a nearby lake or pool. I’ll be kayaking too!
- Reconnect with friends. Set a goal to reach out to somebody each week. Put effort into relationships that might have been neglected a bit during the school year. Get lunch with somebody during the work day!
I hope that gave you you some ideas of what to do this summer! Make sure you’re making priorities for you professionally, personally, and just for fun! 🙂
Thanks for reading!
For more ideas like this sent straight to your inbox, sign up for my email newsletter below!