Musings

SLP Summer Reads

FullSizeRender (1)

It seems to be the cool thing to do for SLPs who work in the school setting: read, read, read over the summer! This is my first summer in the schools and I’m hoping to get some quality reading time in. Below are my recommendations for both speech/disability/therapy related books and then some non-therapy related ones, because it’s summer! I”ve read some of them, but not all! Leave your favorites in the comments. I’d love some new ideas!

{my top therapy-related picks}

{my top fun reads}

What did I miss? Share your recommendations!! I’d love to stock up! I’ll be heading on my honeymoon which will be a perfect time to relax and read!

Elizabeth
    June 2, 2016 at 7:53 PM

The Ghost in my Brain- concussive syndrome with a fascinating rehabilitation.

June 2, 2016 at 9:28 PM

Added to my list!! Thanks for the recommendation!

SmartmouthSLP
    June 2, 2016 at 9:26 PM

Congratulations on your wedding! My recommendations are Neanderthal Seeks Human, The Rosie Project and A Man Called Ove (all characters with ASD).

June 2, 2016 at 9:27 PM

Looking those all up now!!! Thanks for the recommendations!

judyhale
    June 2, 2016 at 11:19 PM

During the summer, I like to read for FUN and enjoyment! Books by Jeffrey Deaver (mystery/suspense with a LOT of plot twists); Maeve Binchy (an Irish writer who is a fantasic storyteller–you KNOW the characters); and totally silly–the Stephanie Plum novels by Janet Evanovich. I’m also loving the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon (those are some HUGE books, so if you’re traveling, put them on Kindle).

June 3, 2016 at 9:23 AM

Good call! I should add some fun reads 🙂

Leticia
    June 3, 2016 at 10:17 AM

I enjoyed Out of my Mind, it’s about a girl who has cerebral palsy and her journey after receiving a speech generating device. 🙂

Leticia
      June 3, 2016 at 10:18 AM

Author is Sharon Draper

Jen K
    June 4, 2016 at 9:09 PM

I loved the books by JoJo Moyes…Me Before You as well as After You.

rwcwithmrsp
    June 6, 2016 at 2:04 PM

Thanks for the great ideas! A commenter above suggested The Rosie Project which I also love. Look Me In The Eye is an interesting memoir about a man who found out he has Asperger’s as an adult and reflects back on his childhood. For fun, I’m reading Mary Kubica’s books – suspenseful and easy-to-read. Titles include The Good Girl, Don’t you Cry and Pretty Baby.

Sue Anne Reyes
    June 14, 2016 at 2:11 AM

Indeed, a great idea! Thanks for your recommendations for both speech/disability/therapy related books. Kudos!

Emily Schmitt
    June 24, 2016 at 6:34 AM

Life Animated by Ron Suskind is amazing! Ron tells his story of having a child with Autism and how important, using his interests was in connecting his son to others and learning. I’d also second Uniquely Human by Barry Prizant.

Kelly
    December 4, 2016 at 1:52 PM

The Girl on the train, The Silent Wife, What Alice Forgot are all excellent! I am currently reading Only Daughter…can’t put it down!