Articulation, Elementary School, Language, Materials, Therapy Ideas

Speech and Language Therapy Lesson Plans for Back to School & Fall

I’ll be honest you guys… this product nearly killed me. I think it definitely took the longest to make of anything in my store! I enlisted help from both my brother and my boyfriend to make sure it was finished before I went on vacation… and it was! Phew! If you work with elementary aged students, this packet WILL save you time and help you have more fun in therapy this fall!

I’m pretty visual when it comes to checking out new products. If you are the same way, check out the video below! I show you through the product! I think it prints pretty beautifully if I don’t say so myself πŸ™‚

If you’d rather see pictures, read on.

First comes the directions. Click on them to make them bigger if you want to read them!

Β Slide02 Slide03 Slide04

Below is the theme overview page.

For each theme, there are two crafts, two activities, and two recommended books. For example, the Fall theme overview page is shown below:

Then, there are follow up pages that explain each craft and each activity in depth, with ideas for how to target speech and language skills!

Slide32 Slide33

Of course, I’ve included any printables you need to do the crafts/activities shown. I include color and black & white options for all printables.

Slide34 Slide35

Many of the crafts and activities utilize mini articulation articulation or language cards, which are also included.Β The articulation mini cards contain 35 cards each for p, b, m, h, w, y, d, n, t, k, g, ng, f, v, ch, j, l, s-blends, s, z, sh, th, and r. All sounds have initial, medial, and final pages except: h, w, y (only initial), ng (only final), and r. The r section has a page for initial r, as well as 1 page each for air, ar, ear, er, ire, and or. Of note: the th and r pages contain only words, no pictures, in order to save ink! The language mini packet contains 35 cards targeting: verbs, adjectives, and core vocabulary. There are 6 additional pages of cards containing pictures to describe (e.g., categories, function), compare and contrast, etc.. .

Below is an example of a mini articulation card page for final /n/:

Screen Shot 2015-09-14 at 3.40.43 PM

And a mini language card page for verbs:

Screen Shot 2015-09-14 at 3.32.02 PM

Aaaand one more thing! Did you notice how on the first fall page shown above that there were “Other” boxes at the bottom? I’ve made all 12 of those pages (1 for each theme) editable so you can type in the activities you own that you use for each theme!

Check out the product in my Teachers Pay Teachers store here! There are preview images and some pretty amazing reviews you can check out from other buyers.

Enter your email below to get the Speechy Musings newsletter. Once you sign up, you'll get instant access to a folder of freebies! Woo!

alison
    September 14, 2015 at 5:15 PM

What a comprehensive product!! Back to school fun… I like to play a guess who game with my kids where they all write three facts about themselves and we post on the bulletin board… the other students make guesses… its fun and a good way to get to know each other =)

September 14, 2015 at 5:53 PM

That sounds so fun!!

Judy Hale
    September 14, 2015 at 6:15 PM

Such a nice, complete packet that would make planning for therapy sessions a breeze! At the beginning of the year, I always do a ‘get to know about me’ page and take a picture of each student. Then we put it up on a wall in my room, so the kids can see it and they love seeing what the other kids write. I also plan a fun ‘pirate’ themed unit for September and it gets the kids excited to come to Speech!

September 14, 2015 at 6:19 PM

I love the idea of taking pictures of everybody!

Cindy Meester
    September 14, 2015 at 6:48 PM

Great packet! I try to bring in photos from my summer and talk about what I did. This often leads to the kids sharing too. It’s a fun way to work on listening, making comments, asking questions, sharing information and getting to know each other.

Amy C.
    September 14, 2015 at 7:16 PM

I always have so many ideas running through my head! I have a hard time narrowing them down. This year, I kept the first week pretty simple. I took baseline data and just spent time visiting with the kids about their summer.

Erin Diggins
    September 14, 2015 at 7:19 PM

What a fantastic product! I like to do a bingo game with different summer activities to get my kids talking about what they did over summer and get to know each other!

September 20, 2015 at 9:03 PM

Good idea! You win!!! Send me an email at speechymusings@gmail.com and I’ll send over the product! Thanks for entering πŸ™‚

Susan S.
    September 14, 2015 at 7:47 PM

I hang everyone’s birthday up on one of my bulletin boards, and we talk about our birthdays.

Jaime
    September 14, 2015 at 9:14 PM

At the beginning of the year I love to have the kids draw pictures of what they did over the summer and describe it to the group.

Karen reinacher
    September 14, 2015 at 9:16 PM

At the beginning of the year I always use an All About Me theme paired with What I DId Over The Summer activity so that I don’t have to stress too much the first few sessions.

Jamie
    September 14, 2015 at 9:18 PM

I like to do a language sample on my first day back, while the students draw a picture. After that, I use the picture as their “sticker chart”.

Great looking Fall packet! It would be a huge time saver. I’m looking forward to you other theme/craft packets. No pressure πŸ˜‰

Erin
    September 14, 2015 at 9:33 PM

This would be great to add to my beginning of year materials! I like to show pictures and share about my summer and ask students what they did over the summer. I’ve also started using the SGM during our sharing!!

Jenna
    September 14, 2015 at 11:50 PM

I started theme planning two years ago to make things easier at back to school time and it really does help (especially now that I’ve got materials for a lot of themes already printed out)! This year I’m spending one morning each week pushing in to a full day preschool classroom, and the teacher and I are planning theme based language and literacy activities for those mornings. These plans would be a great starting point for us!!

Becky S.
    September 15, 2015 at 10:46 AM

I always start my first day with some sort of craft with my students (this year it was decorating an “all about me” puzzle piece) while we chat about their summers. It also gives me an opportunity to see students one-on-one to collect some baseline data while the others in the group work on their craft.

Kylie
    September 15, 2015 at 5:56 PM

I am actually a grad student and am always on the lookout for fun back to school ideas, tips, and tricks! This packet looks great! You make it look so easy! πŸ™‚ Can’t wait to put all of my ideas & resources I’ve gathered into practice once I graduate πŸ™‚ Thanks for creating this, and for all the great content on your blog! πŸ™‚

Lynley Cazier
    September 15, 2015 at 8:09 PM

I need this terribly! I’m not a very creative soul, but I’m really good at carrying out predetermined activities! I like starting with open-ended activities to see where their language is after summer. I also love using games they are used to (candyland, jenga, etc) and adapting those using great tpt products.

Sherry
    September 15, 2015 at 8:17 PM

Wow, what an amazing looking product! I have been doing themes to help keep me organized and the kids interested. I also try to make copies of all worksheets/homework at the beginning of the month so I can just grab what I need out of my monthly folder.

Lauren
    September 15, 2015 at 11:21 PM

This is so beautifully creative! This would be amazing to have as a CF while I’m starting out my first school year! To make back to school more fun I got large pieces of crepe paper (used for door decorating) and had the students lie down on a piece of paper and traced around them to make giant life-sized pictures of themselves. Then they decorated the picture with smaller pictures of their favorite things/facts about them and what they work on during speech.

Caitlan
    September 15, 2015 at 11:43 PM

I like to start off the year with decorating bookmarks. After the kiddos decorate them, I use the bookmarks as positive reinforcement/rewards. They get a sticker on their bookmarks whenever they have a good day in therapy. When the bookmark is filled with stickers, I will laminate the bookmark and return it to the student! This way we can all have a stress free conversation while crafting πŸ™‚

This packet will help will help me stay very organized!

Sara
    September 16, 2015 at 6:10 AM

This looks like such a great product and a big time saver! Hoping you’ll make one for the other seasons too πŸ™‚ The teachers at our school made a Back to School funny video for the kids and they loved it! It really got them and us excited to be back. The first week back I also have my students do some type of “Welcome Back” activity (draw a picture of their favorite thing about summer or I’ll have new students draw a picture of their family and share) and I also have them decorate their speech folders. That gets them more excited to take them home and bring them back πŸ™‚

Sarah
    September 16, 2015 at 10:05 PM

This looks lovely. I can only imagine the amount of work that goes into something like this. I am so grateful to people like you who create things like this and make them available to someone like me.

Alexis
    September 17, 2015 at 12:51 PM

This product looks great! I’d love to have some basic plans in place for the first few months of school!

My first couple of weeks are all about building rapport while taking data. The students decorate folders for their speech work and complete “get to know me” activities while I also take baseline data. After that, I always do a pirate theme. This keeps the beginning of the year planning down to a minimum so I can tackle all the craziness that seems to pop up those first few weeks! πŸ™‚

Lisa
    September 18, 2015 at 2:51 PM

I work at an 11-month, residential school. I like to talk with my students about school activities and schedules then compare that with summer or home activities and schedules. We talk about how things are different and that’s not just okay but good!

Your lesson plans look fabulous!

Bianca Lucatino
    September 19, 2015 at 5:16 PM

As a cf slp with very little materials except for what I made in grad school, this packet would be so helpful! For my first week with the kids, we played a “get to know you” version of bingo but I used real bingo stamp markers that I had collected from my casino trips.
    The kids loved it!